Monday, May 12, 2008

You Tube Video


It's up! Our first YouTube video. As promised, we created a video of me creating my dad's birthday cake back in April of his dog, a golden labradoodle . My friend and amazing film maker Lisa Stock, lent me her camera, helped me film over five hours worth of the process and then she edited it down to a mere four minutes. As the video says "from 4 days to 4 minutes". This is the perfect format for people to see what I actually do. We build a block of cake, carve it down and then decorate. Sometimes I take still shots of the process but they don't do it justice.

For my dad's cake we started with our Old-fashioned Vanilla Cake and Vanilla Buttercream, (the recipes are in our book) split and filled 10-inch round cakes. Stacked them, carved them, and took the cakes apart to dowel so it was structurally sound. After the cake was sculpted I "crumb coated" the cake, which means I sealed in all the crumbs with a layer of buttercream. I made the head by carving styrofoam, because we had to drive the cake to my parents' house and I wasn't taking any chances. Then we covered the cakes with a mixture of white chocolate and vanilla rolled fondant. The plastic wrap and towels around the cake are to keep the icing from drying it. It took a long time to make all that fur!

The little birthday cake in front of the dog is also real cake and the "Happy Birthday" letters, collar and eyes are made out of gum paste. I hope you enjoy the video, watch it here.
Photos: Jordan Pique

17 comments:

Carrie said...

Yay! I will be sure to watch it when I get back from work! Thank you so much for sharing!

Jordan said...

That video is amazing! And the music is great too! Nicely done!

tartanfrog said...

I love it!!! I've seen all the hard work and long hours that go into your creations and this video absolutely does it justice. So cool!

Sue said...

AWESOME video! It's great to see you in action! WOW!!!

Daniel Saravia said...

Elisa, that was a craaaaazy cool video!

Cakespy said...

That is so rad!! Confetti Cakes just gets cooler every day! You're adorable too!

Unknown said...

Saw the vid on YouTube - brilliant work. Very impressive

silent whispers said...

That was totally insane! If I had a cake like that I would display it instead of eating it! A sweet masterpiece!!!

Xunto said...

What a cute cake :3
It must be delicious :)

Unknown said...

What amazing work! Truly an artform!

Also, what was the name of the music? I'd really like to buy it! :)

Matthew D. Brown said...

Awesome video!!!
Visit my blogspot, ctoonman.blogspot.com!!!

Jenn said...

Loved the youtube video and your site. Hope to see more videos just like that! It was great to watch - we've watched it two or three times here.

wrighterdawn said...

I saw your video on youtube and was absolutely blown away. You have an amazing talent. Good luck to you in the future! I am looking forward to buying your cake decorating book!

Jaime said...

I just watched you video and have to say you are amazing!!!

Anonymous said...

WOW! That is so cool! I love the dog so much! awesome job!

ashley nicole said...

That's a really cool looking cake...you did an amazing job!!

Okay...this might be a stupid question (and if it is, I apologize), but can you still eat the cake?

P.S. I ended up here at your blog from a link to your YouTube video on http://maximumride.blogspot.com/

Sarah Enriquez said...

Hi Elisa! I'm a big fan of yours. Your designs are so amazing. I sent an e-mail to the address I found on your site but I didn't get a reply. Actually I was asking for permission if I can post a review and some pictures or my most favorite design that you've created. I'll be sure to add a link to your website and blog and some text that says, "POSTED WITH PERMISSION." Please let me know. Thanks. Here's my blog: http://TreatsForTheSweetTooth.blogspot.com