Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Piecing Fondant

It was a number of years ago that I realized when you are covering a huge amount of (or very tall) cake you can't always do it in one try. So I devised a technique that I call "piecing fondant" that allows you to apply fondant to irregular shaped cakes in well, you know, pieces (or sections). I am sure I personally didn't invent this technique although I can't remember where I saw it for the first time. I especially like to piece fondant on objects that would naturally have a seam, like a shopping bag, nap sack or handbags. You can piece the fondant and add some stitching marks and you'd never know it is a cake!
You can also use it for things that have an opening at the top, i.e. Popcorn bags, sand pails, and totes.

If you are in the New York vicinity on May 8th, I will be giving a demo at The Institute of Culinary Education on this technique.

4 comments:

Carrie said...

awwwwwwwww, I wanna go. Kinda long commute though. Oh well. Someday maybe. Make a video and I'll buy it! Please??

Carrie

Elisa said...

I'm working on it!

Carrie said...

Yay!!!!! I can't wait! If ya need any help, just let me know! :)

Carrie

Claire said...

I didn't know you were going to be at ICE too. I signed up for your workshop at FCI, but then I found out that it was the same day as my nephew's communion, so I can't go. Very bummed.